Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Pazz & Jop Critics Poll 2011 Results

Amina Alaoui, melancholy Moroccan singer, whose Arco Iris album on ECM made only my top 10, and no one else's.

The Village Voice Pazz & Jop Critics poll of 700 critics is out.  Tuneyards won for top album and Adele "Rolling in the Deep" for top single.  Neither made my list.  my album list  includes 2 African artists; 1 Brazilian;  1 Southern soul; 2 rap; 1 neo-soul r'n'b; 1 rock; 1 pop-r'n'b and 1 country.  No one else voted for my African, Brazilian, and southern soul choices.  Tinariwen and Bombino were the top placing African artists in the the poll The poll can still use more critics into non-rock genres but it's hard to recruit them.  My singles list includes many songs heard on WKYS radio.  It includes 3 r'n'b radio hits; 4 rap/r'n'b combo hits; 1 pop hit; 1 southern soul line dance song; and 1 reggaeton number (from 2010 that had its impact for me in 2011). Was I mostly bored by rock in 2011--yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment